[CentOS-devel] CentOS-5 on i586

Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 7 15:38:37 UTC 2008

On 07/04/2008, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> Actually ... I don't personally see it as that at all.  We still want to
> minimize changes and i think Alan's comments are correct.
>
> Right, and we may do it, however if we do it, it will be because there is
> a growing market and it has no impact on the i686 distro.
>
> And the act of modifying anaconda in that way DOES go against what CentOS
> main goal is (a perfect rebuild of sources).
>
> That doesn't mean we won't do it ... it just means we need a very good
> reason to do it :D
>
> I also did not read it like that. All those things are NOT changing
> anything in the main distro, but are adding on to it.
>
> But that might be the argument.  For example, we are probably not going to
> add Gnome 2.22 into centos-5 for precisely that reason :D
>
> Right ... so all in all, I though Alan's comments were positive and not
> negative.
>
> Either way though, the real issue is that we might provide i586 support as
> an addon feature if it looks like i586 is required for new projects .. but
> the support may be broken at times since upstream does not ensure their
> source compiles with that "--target i586" switch.

Thanks for seeing it as I wrote it, Johnny. I read Karanbir's reply once,
then twice, then scratched my head, then read it a third time. At that point
I had to get up from my monitor and go do something - anything that could be
done on "auto-pilot" - elsewhere.

What I wrote was (a) to give support to Manuel's proposal for C5 support on
the i586 (b) but to minimise the ever-increasing pressure on the core
developers.

I do what very little I am able to do, for and in the spirit of the CentOS
Community. Until such time as it is made clear to me that I am not wanted, I
will continue in that fashion. I've lived for over half a century and have a
broad back.

Perhaps Karanbir is just having a bad day and is feeling particularly
"spiky".

Alan.