[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS-5 on i586

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Apr 7 16:10:34 UTC 2008

on 4-7-2008 8:36 AM Manuel Tuthill spake the following:
>> And the act of modifying anaconda in that way DOES go against what
>> CentOS main goal is (a perfect rebuild of sources).
>
> Forgive my naivet� but didn't you have to do this for C3/C4?
>

>> That doesn't mean we won't do it ... it just means we need a very good
>> reason to do it :D
>
> Can you elaborate on what you would require a good reason to be, I've
> demonstrated that the AMD geode in the form the OLPC program means that
> there will hundreds of thousands of machine that could benefit. If you
> believe them there would be Billions in use!
>
> Manuel
But is an Enterprise distro really the right fit for something like the OLPC
project? Or the embedded market?

I see something like Ubuntu  or Debian being a better fit for the low end
machines. Enterprise distros are better suited to corporate type use.
Thousands of machines for wordprocessing and spreadsheets, with e-mail and a
browser. OLPC will want full multimedia support that RHEL and CentOS don't
provide by default.

And a larger userbase of low end machines will only increase bandwidth costs
with little chance of monetary contributions to help there. Sure there would
be a larger contribution in future developers, but most will gravitate to a
paying job first. Although CentOS is a free OS, I wouldn't say that it is a
philanthropic endeavor with unlimited resources. The developers day jobs are
what put "food on the table".

You can't be all things to all people, or you will just alienate them all.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and