[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS-5 on i586

Daniel de Kok me at danieldk.org
Mon Apr 7 17:10:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Manuel Tuthill <Manuel at nebula-it.co.uk> wrote:
> > Do you actually have an OLPC to test again ?
>
>  No mentioning the OLPC was more in building my case for i586 support.

I don't think that is much of a case yet, since I see little change
getting CentOS on them. First of all, because they require very fine
tuning wrt. system requirements and power management. Secondly, I
don't think kids will replace the preinstalled Fedora-ish installation
with CentOS. You need someone higher up the chain to do that.

The XO-1 has 1 GB flash memory, 256MB RAM, and a tiny screen
resolution. It's hard to squeeze a useful system into that, without
also providing and maintaining an interface like Sugar.

-- Daniel