[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS-5 on i586

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 17:17:36 UTC 2008

Manuel Tuthill wrote:

> I'm already trying to use Centos outside of the Enterprise solutions it was
> designed for by using it for a HTPC, Why? Because the very same reason that
> makes it good for enterprises makes it good for me, long term stability,
> support and ease of use among others.

That doesn't really prevent having some current applications running on
top of your stable OS and libraries, but you'll probably have to compile
them yourself.

> Of course I could go and use another
> distribution but I use Centos for Work and don't particularly want to learn
> the nuances of several different distributions.

Yes, it would be nice if some of the more popular apps were built in
current versions for older RHEL/Centos releases.  I'd probably still be
running Centos 3.x on several older machines if it was easy to add a
current thunderbird/firefox/OOo, and a couple of other things.  These
machines aren't so old as to make it impossible to run 5.x but I can't
see any real improvement either.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com