[CentOS-devel] rhwas 5 work?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Apr 10 15:17:16 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>>>
>>> Because icedtea is Java 1.7, which isn't really there yet. This one is
>>> Java 1.6.
>>
>> And even Java 1.6 is a strech, as the webstack is currently built
>> using java-1.4.2 ... which we can not use to build since we can not
>> distribute it.
>
> What's the problem with a jpackage nosrc rpm and instructions to
> download your own copy of the java binary from Sun and execute this
> command?

Because CentOS does not distribute RPMS that we can't get repo closure on.

People expect that if they say yum install jbossas it will work and NOT
require them to build stuff.

Also ... I can't build GPL stuff against NON-FREE stuff and distribute
it as GPL :D

(Well or at least it is a questionable proactice)

AND since there is a FREE / GPL version available that is what we will
use or we won't distribute it.