[CentOS-devel] CentOS Directory Server 8.0 (was Redhat Directory Server 8.0)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Apr 11 13:14:03 UTC 2008

Jean-Marc LIGER wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I was planning to offer my help for rebuild Red Hat Directory Server 8.0
> for CentOS. But when I wanted to pick last 1.6 OpenJDK this morning, I
> saw that this job was already done. And moreover, It seems to be ship
> with all the CentOS artwork.

Tim Verhoeven did a great job of modifying and building CentOS Directory
Server 8.0. Tim was using our java-1.6.0-openjdk testing release that I
got working a couple weeks back.  My work on the java-openjdk was based
on Daniel de Kok's previous java-1.7.0-icedtea work.  So this is a real
team effort ... with Karanbir Singh also helping greatly with all 3 of
the above mentioned projects.

We hope that we have removed all the logos and trademarks in this
version and it looks ready in that respect.

> That's Great, so I'll get rid of my own RHDS rebuilt with 1.7 IcedTea
> and I will test yours today !

This is very much a beta release, and we are testing it with our QA Team
right now. We are not necessarily asking for everyone to test this
version yet (and certainly not asking anyone to deploy it in production)
... but if there are people out there who have the upstream version
deployed and working who can test, we would appreciate some help in
testing it by those who are knowledgeable with the product.

Here is info on how to install CDS:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/DirectoryServerSetup

(Those are bare bones instructions to get it installed with a very basic
setup and nothing more :D)

> JML
>
> PS : Johnny you were right and me wrong when I said that Red Hat would
> keep RHDS closed (even if it's built with proprietary 1.4.2 Java IBM).

Well, that does go to what Red Hat seems to be trying to achieve.  They
do have a very good track record of opening up everything they can.
Their Red Hat Certificate Server is another example of that (and
FreeIPA.org), as is their brand new Real Time Kernel project and HPC
project.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes