[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS-5 i586 status?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:36:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 4-20-2008 9:56 AM Adam Foran spake the following:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I just had pretty poor luck installing CentOS-5 on one of these:
> >
> > http://koolu.com/Koolu-WE-Appliance/Works-Everywhere-Appliance.html
> >
> > I'm trying to turn this into a home server/router and think CentOS
> > (with its long support cycles) is an ideal distribution for this
> > sort of application. The catch, of course, is that its a AMD Geode
> > (hence i586) based system, so the install doesn't get very far.
> >
> > I saw there was a recent thread on this list about i586 support for
> > CentOS-5 and I was wondering if there is anyone currently working
> > on that. If there is I'd be interested in helping out.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Adam
> >
>  You could get CentOS 4 on it. Still has almost 4 years of support. Until
>  Feb 29, 2012. That way you could use it now instead of waiting months for
> i586 support on CentOS-5.

In the CentOS forums, there is a report about some install issue with
recent kernels and i586.

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topic_id=13870&forum=27

See post #5 -> "You could try install CentOS 4.5... I've got a couple
of machines running CentOS 4 on K6-2s, recent kernels are failing with
the same messages as you are experiencing... I've not had chance to
try to debug it yet, but, the older, pre 4.6 kernels do work fine..."

If any of you are running i586 on CentOS-4, we would appreciate your
input in that thread.

Akemi