[CentOS-devel] CentOS-5 i586 status?

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Tue Apr 22 18:02:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 07:54:42PM +0200, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Adam Foran <adam at foran.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 19:42 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >  > Would you like to bring some people together to work on this ? I dont
> >  > even mind sitting through and being a part of the effort, however,
> >  > someone else is going to need to do the heavy lifting.
> >
> >  I'm very happy to help with an effort like this, but I won't be able
> >  to spend more than a few hours a week on a project like this, so I'm not
> >  sure if I can realistically offer to do more than help with the testing.
> >  >From your perspective, how big of effort would it be to get CentOS-5
> >  running on a i586?
>
> 686 without cmov instructions does not need much work anymore
> package-wise, so most of the work there is probably in patching
> Anaconda to work on i686 without cmov. This work could also catch
> i586, but I am not completely sure, because I do not have a i586 to
> test with.
>
> Anyway, I have moved our notes/status page to:
> http://wiki.centos.org/Projects/CentOS5PentiumSupport
>
> This should provide some information to interested people about what
> is done, and what needs to be done.

If you want, add a section on that page of users willing to test this.
I'm definitely willing and have two VIA C3 based systems I can test
with.  Don't believe I have any i586 hardware but could dig around.

Is there a mantis bug that will be used for tracking this?  I think
I've subscribed myself to that wiki page, but would like to keep "in
the loop" if possible.

Ray