[CentOS-devel] CentOS-5 i586 status?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Apr 24 11:18:34 UTC 2008

Adam Foran wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 19:26 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Daniel de Kok wrote:
>>> I think it would be best if this becomes a project in its own respect
>>> on projects.centos.org. The page I referred to, as well as other
>>> relevant information could be hosted there.
>> I agree.
>>
>>> But to make this an official subproject, we need somebody who is
>>> willing to lead it. I am willing to serve as a devteam member on such
>>> subproject, and it seems Karanbir is as well. I can also work on the
>>> Anaconda issues, but currently I just don't have the time to
>>> coordinate this.
>> Ray, has said he can spend a few hours/wk on this issue - that should be
>> plenty to get some organisation going. Ray ?
>>
>> Also, I'd be happy to help along as much as I can - so perhaps with
>> reduced time available Daniel + Me ~~ 1 Dev :D
>>

> Presumably the first step here would be getting an install to work?
> My installation attempt failed because anaconda couldn't seem to find
> a kernel package, so is the idea here to include i586 packages for
> the kernel, glibc, and maybe a few others in CentOSPlus and then teach
> anaconda to use that repo during the install as well? Or will the i586
> rpms be added to the base rpm install dir/media?

No, you have to totally respin the installer to boot off of an i586
kernel from the beginning ... which is why this will not make it into
the main tree.

SO, I need to build an i586 kernel, remove the i686 one from the main
tree (OR modify anaconda to create an initrd and vmlinuz to boot an i586
kernel if you tell it too), buildinstall that special tree, make that
entire tree available in a separate location if we want to also support
net installs, and come up with somewhere to put updates in a repo after
install.

If you have an i586 only machine, it can't boot the current CDs at all
since that kernel is i686.