[CentOS-devel] CentOS-5 i586 status?

Adam Foran adam at foran.ca
Fri Apr 25 01:13:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 10:49 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> if your installer ran far enough that it even got around to looking at
> what kernel you need post-install, you dont need i586. hint: the
> installer runs on a i686 kernel itself!

This doesn't seem quite right. The machine in question is currently
running Fedora:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 10
model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 498.063
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 pge cmov clflush mmx mmxext
3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips        : 997.56
clflush size    : 32

$ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.25-0.234.rc9.git1.fc9.i586 #1 SMP Tue Apr 15
17:24:08 EDT 2008 i586 i586 i386 GNU/Linux

I used the CentOS-5.1 diskboot.img to boot from a USB stick and did
a text http install. As you say, it made it to the point where it was
looking at what packages it needs, but anaconda threw an exception
claiming it couldn't find a kernel to install, and from the above I
assumed it was looking for an i586 kernel.

So I guess we have a i586 processor that will boot a i686 kernel, but
since it is a i586 processor, the install has no hope of finding the
packages its going to look for....

Anyway, as I said, I'll help test any i586 installers/packages you guys
come up with.

Thanks for the explanations.

Adam