[CentOS-devel] dkms or akmod?

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Wed Apr 30 14:21:13 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Farkas Levente wrote:
>> currently there are three ways for this:
>> - the obsoleted fedora way
>>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Obsolete/KernelModules
>
> you seem to be confused, this isnt Fedora-devel and Kmod's are not
> obsoleted in the distro.
>
> You also have the wrong list really. The only thing we are working with
> are kmod's at the moment and that is unlikely to change for a long time
> still.

kmod's are not in the upstream distro even:-(
the only problem with everybody has to face of is that you have to
recompile all kmods all the time when a new kernel released. for you
it'd have to be much more work since you've to do it for all platform
and for centosplus kernels etc. but i'm sure 95% of the time you just
made an rpmbuild --rebuild ...src.rpm. and it's always happened later
than the kernel released (even if you're very fast). and that's why many
people looking other solution. so that's why i assumed that may be
centos will change it's kernel module building.

but i understand that centos won't switch from kmod to any others in the
near future.