[CentOS-devel] Re: perl-devel package

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Aug 5 18:13:56 UTC 2008

On Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:32 AM +0300 Axel Thimm
<Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:

> I'd go for the latter. That is how I also deal with
> python-devel/python(abi)/python-abi for older CentOSes or xfree86 ->
> xorg changes (see the compat package at ATrpms). It is the cleanest
> and less maintenance needing solution, as you will not need to touch
> the subversion specfile, at least not in this part.

I'm inclined to agree. Fundamentally the problem isn't in the Subversion
package, but with the split in the Perl package. The solution should not be
to pollute dependent packages with conditional hacks but to create a
one-time stand-in for the future package split in the RHEL/CentOS branch
that will occur when the Fedora Perl packaging change gets pushed down into
RHEL.