[CentOS-devel] CentOS Forums again

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:47:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> Ned Slider wrote:
>>>
>>> A thread has started at the forums for forum users to let folks know what
>>> they would like to see in terms of features/usability:
>>>
>>> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14921&forum=45
>>
>> Is someone going to consolidate this into the wiki page ?
>>

> No Wiki page yet (I haven't forgotten), but here is a quick summary of
> points raised/features requested so far by forum members:
>
> Major
> * Persistent logins
> * Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins (per user, not per
> machine)
> * The remember me, keep cookie for 1 year option looks broken (relates to
> the above)
> * View first unread post within thread feature
> * Ability for users to change registered email address.
>
> Minor
> * Thank User button/feature
> * Better management of subscribed threads
> * Quick links feature
>

> Most of the major issues revolve around having to constantly re-login every
> 24 hours and the lack of a view first unread post within thread feature. One
> would hope that both of these issues would be addressed as standard in most
> major forum software packages. Basically our forum users just want the
> features they have come to expect as standard on other forums, but appear to
> be lacking in our current software.

I would like to resurrect this topic after one month of no movement.
For those who recently joined the maillist, the original post was on
May 31:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-May/004685.html

which continued on:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-June/004687.html

and then on:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-June/004790.html

With a growing number of CentOS forum users we need a better piece of
software.  Let's push forward this movement, shall we?

And this relates to the establishment of the planned internationalized
centos.org sites for ja, es, de, ru, etc etc.  The idea is to use the
same software for all these sites to make management easier.  So far,
fr.centos.org is the only one that is already in place (using punBB).
So, developers, can we resume activities on setting up the next target
ja.centos.org which was started sometime ago?  If this should be a
separate subject, I will be happy to start a new thread.

Akemi

Akemi