[CentOS-devel] Re: [CentOS] slow Perl on CentOS 5

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Thu Aug 28 11:12:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 09:39:44AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Akemi Yagi, channeling Keith Lofstrom, wrote:
>> should explore the problem further with TUV and the CentOS
>> community. If a fix is not forthcoming from TUV, I reluctantly suggest
>> that we get together with the CentOS people and fork this portion of
>>  the distro, perhaps standardizing on Perl 5.10 . There are people
>> in the Perl community ready to assist us.
>
> While forking the whole perl subsection of the distro is a bit drastic, I
> am quite happy to have a perl in C5Plus. Does someone want to get in touch
> with Keith and get a summary on what needs fixing in this case ? Also - if
> the conversation was to take place on centos-devel list, would be much
> cooler.

What are you thinking of here Karanbir? Using the current C5 perl package
(so 5.8.8) but with the upstream fixes applied? Or backporting the FC8
package? Or something more divergent from upstream (e.g. do we turn off
ithreads)?

I assume we're not thinking of rebasing to 5.10, for instance?

Cheers,
Gavin