[CentOS-devel] still trying to build upstream srpms

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Fri Aug 29 09:21:58 UTC 2008

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> so in general, how do we know how the upstream builds things?  are there
>> logs somewhere on ftp.redhat.com to look at?  or do we have moles that
>> tell us?
>>
>> i'm not even thinking about mock type stuff right now, just trying to
>> figure out the actual rpmbuild command line to use.
>
> Well, you should think about mock in that case - because that is how it
> is built.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

  Hmm, afaik Upstream doesn't use mock for EL .. i think they use a
'homebrew' builder system and they don't publish the logs/builder system
specs/etc .... Talk to several CentOS developers and they confirm that
it sometimes hard to guess what's the minimal chroot they use to build
the package .. sometimes BuildRequires: are missing if you want to build
it with a buildsys group like the one CentOS is using
(http://dev.centos.org/centos/buildsys/)
However using mock is surely the best way to rebuild such SRPMs .. and
that's what a lot of people do (including CentOS project)

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>