[CentOS-devel] Rebuild xorg

Alain PORTAL alain.portal at free.fr
Sat Dec 20 23:37:22 UTC 2008

Le samedi 20 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :
> On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 22:47 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed and fully updated Centos 5.2 on my laptop.
> > Unfortunately, this one need at least the version 6.8.0 of the
> > xorg-x11-drv-ati (available in Fedora 9), and this driver need
> > xorg-x11-server-Xorg >= 1.4.99.1 :-(
>
> Are you sure about that?

Unfortunately yes.
I was unable to use the graphical install.
After installation, I wanted to start X but I got a grey screen, I was unable to switch between ttys using Alt F[1-7], unable to kill X server with Alt-Ctrl-Back and I had to restart the laptop with Ctrl-Alt-Del.

And I got the same grey screen and freeze when I tried to use system-config-display.

> Most video cards have a VGA compatible mode?
> Have you tried that?

Not with centos, but some months ago, I tried even vesa mode with Fedora 9.

> About the only loss is some of the higher
> resolutions and maybe some performance. The current X11 might be OK if
> you can use and live with the VGA compatible mode.

I can accept lower resolution if I can use X server...

> > So, I need to rebuild many things if I want to use centos on my laptop,
> > and I want to use it!
>
> Might be more work thatn you expect. Will you have to use/build later
> versions of Gnome/KDE libraries, apps, etc. when the new X11 is
> installed?

Current Centos desktops and libraries are enough for me if they can be ran on a new X server.

> Will that require more changes in more underlying things?

I don't know.

> My guess would be there's a lot of work there.

Sure, if the X server rebuilt imply a near full rebuilt of Centos, this isn't really serious...

> > As this is the first time I use Centos, could you tell me which tools I
> > need and how I have to do to rebuild packages that I'll probably take on
> > Fedora 9 mirrors?
>
> I don't have the technical knowledge to help you with that. But whenever
> certain "core" pieces are changed, there's a lot of potential for
> breakage.
>
> Since CentOS is "enterprise", i.e. stable, not supporting the latest
> hardware, gets mostly security patches back-ported, CentOS may not be
> appropriate if you need is for the "latest and greatest".

I don't want the latest and greatest.
At home as at the office, I'm under FC6, which isn't supported since more than one year.
I tried Fedora 9 (whith difficulties) on my laptop when I buy it, and I could see that I didn't like it (particulary Kde4).

> The more knowledgeable folks on the list suggest another distro for
> those that do need the "latest and greatest" without as much need for
> the "enterprise class" stability.

I decided to leave Fedora for several reasons, a big one is its too short time life: 13 months is now unacceptable to me;

> Sorry I can't be more help that that.

Thanks for yours answers.
But I hope I'll get answers about tools and how to build or rebuild from scratch or srpms on Centos because even if I can't install Centos on my laptop, I want to install it on two older computers.

Regards,
Alain
--
Les pages de manuel Linux en français