[CentOS-devel] Rebuild xorg

Alain PORTAL alain.portal at free.fr
Sun Dec 21 18:02:09 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :

> > I tried this, but as it is running in a 320x200 vga mode, I can't see a
> > lot of things. I think I see less than a quarter of the dialog window.
>
> Time for extreme measures.

Perhaps I didn't speak english well and I don't know if I was understood for
that. I wanted to say I saw 1/4 of the size of the s-c-d window;
Or you did a joke I didn't understood

> At boot prompt, add to the end of the kernel
> line, via the grub edit facility "vga=ask", IIRC.
>
> I can't find the kernel parameters docs on my system ATM, so this is a
> guess from memory. Maybe I need kernel development to get those notes?
>
> Anyway, that should give you a list of pre-defined modes, numeric.
> Google before you do this and get a list of possible ones. I would pick
> the 1024x768 as a first try. IIRC another is 800x640. There's a
> 1240x1076(?) I think too.

I did what you said, but it seems I didn't get the expected results:

Video adapter: VESA VGA
Mode:    COLSxROWS:
0  0F00  80x25
1  0F01  80x50
2  0F02  80x43
3  0F03  80x28
4  0F05  80x30
5  0F06  80x34
6  0F07  80x60

So, no graphic mode as I could find by googling
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html

If I use, as an example, vga=0x307, when I startx, I can see saying 4 desktops
on the width of the screen and height of these desktop are only 1/10 height
on the screen, at the top of it
So, 9/10 of the screen is black.

Regards,
Alain