[CentOS-devel] Rebuild xorg

Alain PORTAL alain.portal at free.fr
Sun Dec 21 20:42:00 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :
> > I did what you said, but it seems I didn't get the expected results:
> >
> > Video adapter: VESA VGA
> > Mode:    COLSxROWS:
> > 0  0F00  80x25
> > 1  0F01  80x50
> > 2  0F02  80x43
> > 3  0F03  80x28
> > 4  0F05  80x30
> > 5  0F06  80x34
> > 6  0F07  80x60
>
> Those are good. But now that I see them I remember that they are for
> virtual consoles. I don't recall that they would affect the
> system-config-display actions.
>
> Regardless, you can pick one at boot time if "vga=ask" (without the
> quotes) and you'll see different character sizes. If you code "vga=xxx",
> where the "xxx" is one of those codes, they must be converted to decimal
> first.
> One of those links I posted later has a link to how to do that.
>
> But, as I mentioned, I now don't think this will affect the X setup.

No, it don't affect.

> > So, no graphic mode as I could find by googling
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html
>
> This link only has effect if you're using framebuffer. That's (IIRC)
> optional - I have it on my 4.x system, but I set it up a long time ago
> and would have to research to recall the details. It gave a nice speed
> improvement.

I found several links:
http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

Unfortunately, I can't find the dot clock for the driver as I can't find the
video controller model "ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon X2100]" on
the ATI website :-(

> Anyway, it's not mandatory. If you want to use it, more setup steps are
> needed. I would skip it now and continue what you're doing - get a basic
> acceptable setup running.
>
> > If I use, as an example, vga=0x307, when I startx, I can see saying 4
> > desktops
>
> As I mention above, I think the hexadecimal needs to be converted to
> decimal. It's been a _long_ time, but I _think_ 0x307 = 775 decimal. But
> I don't remember if that value is big-endian or little-endian. Big, I
> think.

Both notations, decimal and hexadecimal, are allowed.

> > on the width of the screen and height of these desktop are only 1/10
> > height on the screen, at the top of it
> > So, 9/10 of the screen is black.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alain
>
> I saw that another posted some parameters to try with
> system-config-display. I'm going to peek at that and see what else I
> might offer.
>
> I might save my configs and play with system-config-display a bit and
> see if any clues pop up.

Thanks!

Alain
--