[CentOS-devel] Defining what CentOS is

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Dec 22 16:32:38 UTC 2008

Hi,

We discussed this on #centos after yet another "centos" user had problem
using yum. What is missing is a page targetted at
integrators/distributors with a list of requirements for using the
"CentOS" product name or even saying it is derived, based or build on
CentOS.

We might be able to kill more than one bird with a single stone, so I am
looking for more things we want to prevent distributors/integrators doing
without making it impossible for them to use CentOS altogether.

My first concern was the support problem, what do we (at minimum) expect
to have when users say they have a CentOS. A working yum using the CentOS
official repositories, a minimal set of official packages (which ?).

Without complying to the list of requirements, they may not refer to
CentOS (and people will not have the wrong expectations for support).

 	http://wiki.centos.org/About/CentOS-product-definition

Feedback please ?