[CentOS-devel] /dev/pts/??

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Tue Dec 30 02:45:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Michel Donais wrote:

> Subject: Re: [CentOS-devel] /dev/pts/??
>
>> tty is used for console terminals
>> pts is used for 'virtual/pseudo' terminals (like created by ssh or screen)
>>
>> There are other character terminal devices that are used for specific
>> purposes, like ttyS for serial ports.
>
> I understand these above lines, but want to operate with tty's for this
> application

A pts device is also a tty. I have troubles understanding what you want to
achieve (and to be frank, none of your mails are explaining), but if the
problem is that your application is SCO-centric and cannot work with pts
devices, then you'll have to find the source code or ask your vendor.

(Or simply log on to the console instead of using SSH ?)

The way the tty command finds its tty is by following the
/proc/self/fd/0 symlink.

[root at moria root]# ls -l /proc/self/fd/0
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Dec 30 03:40 /proc/self/fd/0 -> /dev/pts/3

Not sure what your application is doing to, try stracing it to find out.