[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.1 Kernel for i586 (SRPM patch)

Brian Schueler brian.schueler at gmx.de
Fri Feb 8 00:06:48 UTC 2008

Hi, folks.

Building a CentOS-5 Kernel for 586 machines is a quite simple way by
enabling i586 in the spec file, adding the kabi information and
creating a debug configuration for i586.
Glibc and openssl for i586 rebuilds out of the box.
Is there a convenient way for CentOS to maintaining i586 for
version 5.1+ as it was done on CentOS-4?
I have seen already an i586 Kernel for CentOS 5.0 in the plus
repository - but I would like to know what problems occurred
causing a discontinuing.
I've made a patch for the kernel srpm (working on 2.6.18-53.el5 up to
2.6.18-53.1.6.el5) enabling rebuilding for the i586 target.
CentOS 5.1 successfully runs on a Pentium 1 (tested: 200 MHz,
64MB RAM). (AMD-K6 should run, too.)
The motivation is that some i586 class routers running CentOS-3
which should be replaced with 5.

The patch is located at:
http://dbl76.tfh-berlin.de/~s18009/c5/special/kernel-2.6.18-xxx.march_i586.el5.src.patch

BS