[CentOS-devel] Re: rpmRepo Web Apps Filesystem Directory

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Feb 25 14:35:48 UTC 2008

Jean-Marc LIGER wrote:

> Another disappointing question for me is the desigend Web Apps directory.
>
> The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard recommends /srv/www but only one of
> the big, SuSE, uses it.

On the Fedora/Red Hat front, this has been debated several times within the
packaging committee, the consensus right now (as I understand it, mind you)
is that the FHS's wording of /srv usage implies that this is for
*site-specific* stuff only, and the OS (in general) shouldn't touch or
assume anything about it's structure.  So, fedora currently recommends
packages follow-suit, and not put anything there, or assume anything about
it's content.

That said, I wish FHS wording were a bit more flexible to allow otherwise,
but that's how things stand atm.

-- Rex