[CentOS-devel] rpmRepo Web Apps Filesystem Directory

Jean-Marc LIGER jean-marc.liger at siris.sorbonne.fr
Mon Feb 25 15:34:09 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> Jean-Marc LIGER wrote:
>> Dear Sirs,
>>
>> Another disappointing question for me is the desigend Web Apps
>> directory.
>>
>> The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard recommends /srv/www but only one of
>> the big, SuSE, uses it.
>> Debian uses /var/www.
>> Mandriva uses both /var/www and /usr/share.
>> Red Hat used /var/www and now /usr/share.
>> CentOS uses /usr/share and RPMForge uses /var/www.
>>
>> So my question is, what will be the future Web Apps directory for
>> rpmRepo ?
>>
>> Be sure, I don't want to annoy anyone, I really want the best for
>> CentOS that we use every day in our production environment.
>>
>> And this Filesystem Web Directory question is poisonning me for a
>> while, when I want to mix up packages, but also to make the good
>> choice for my own ones.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Jean-Marc Liger - Sorbonne University Networks
>
> Well ... we use what is in RHEL.  Our whole goal is everything the
> same, which means the same place.
>
> When I create packages, I try to follow what RHEL does as an example.
> So we use also use /var/www/ or /usr/share as well in our extras or
> centosplus.

Well ... the first move I found from /var/www to /usr/share was in a
CentOS package :)

* Sat Oct 29 2005 Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> 3.0.6-1.centos4
- Initial build for CentOS4
- Changed the html location to be consistent w/CentOS web apps (/usr/share)

Fedora also follows this way :
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

I'm not so happy with that because it gets rid of precision. First we
can find several type files in /usr/share and secondly the web directory
can change from
/usr/share/%{name}/web-files to more complicated
/usr/share/%{name}/[htdocs/html/wwwroot/www/...]/web-files, depending of
the source bundle.

But life is not every time a happyness, so I'm looking for a unique
choice to follow if possible (for CentOS packaging only).