[CentOS-devel] Point yum repos to centos gpg key in /etc/pki/

Jeff Sheltren jeff at osuosl.org
Mon Feb 25 17:45:17 UTC 2008

Hi, as a follow up to a conversation in #centos-devel, I'd like to get
input from the list on this issue.

The question is where to point people, and tools like yum, for the
centos gpg key used to verify rpm signatures.  My opinion is that
pointing to the key in /etc/pki/ which gets installed by the centos-
release makes the most sense.  This is already installed locally on
any centos (-5) machine.  See ie. http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2419

 From a security standpoint, there are issues with either choice.
However, if your install media has been compromised, then there would
be many other ways to bypass the gpg checks rather than just changing
the gpg key from the centos-release package.  Pointing to a URL for
the gpg key opens up more security issues such as dns poisoning.

-Jeff