[CentOS-devel] Re: rpmRepo Web Apps Filesystem Directory

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Feb 26 03:09:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:35:48AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard recommends /srv/www but only one of
> > the big, SuSE, uses it.
>
> On the Fedora/Red Hat front, this has been debated several times within the
> packaging committee, the consensus right now (as I understand it, mind you)
> is that the FHS's wording of /srv usage implies that this is for
> *site-specific* stuff only, and the OS (in general) shouldn't touch or
> assume anything about it's structure.  So, fedora currently recommends
> packages follow-suit, and not put anything there, or assume anything about
> it's content.

I think that pretty much covers it exactly. :)

> That said, I wish FHS wording were a bit more flexible to allow otherwise,
> but that's how things stand atm.

Well, the wording is deliberately left vague, as there are use case
for at least two different layouts. None can subsume the other in its
functionality, so it is really a local choice to make.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net