[CentOS-devel] Use CentOSplus to carry latest GUI packages

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jan 11 14:21:56 UTC 2008

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> I don't know if this has been talked about much in the past, but I was wondering if CentOSplus could be used to carry the latest stable versions of the GUI applications KDE/Gnome. These apps often lag behind quite a bit even on the selected stable branch upstream has chosen.
>
> For example, would it decrease stability to update KDE from 3.5.4 to 3.5.8? I think it would add to stability as long as you stay within that 3.5 branch, but upstream thinks otherwise and tries to re-invent the wheel by backporting 3.5.5-3.5.8 fixes into 3.5.4 which often don't work completely and have the potential of creating new bugs themselves.
>
> Another thing, Xen, the Xen package says it's 3.0.3, but looking at the SRPM it turns out it's the Xen 3.1 kernel with the Xen 3.0.3 'xm' and 'xend' dom0 utilities. In my book that's Xen 3.1, why not just fix the parts of the 3.1 utilities that broke between releases?
>
> Anyways Xen may not be a good candidate as others may have environmental dependencies on the upstream version, but upgrading to the latest minor version within a branch for a given application shouldn't break environmental dependencies, ie provide Xen 3.1.4 if it contains the xm and xend fixes that upstream was looking for.
>
> What is the consenus on this?

WRT the major desktops ... I am not sure that I would want to do that.

There are so many things that change that I would think it would be
easier to just use fedora.

There is a kde-redhat project for KDE that will do that for you:

http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

I'll never say never, but I think changing Gnome or KDE is just TOO much
to still call it CentOS.

WRT Xen ... I'll leave that to Karanbir to discuss.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes