[CentOS-devel] XEN 3.1 centos5.1 x86_64 domU 32bit

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:35:38 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 3:29 PM, Theurl Michael <michael.theurl at smog.at> wrote:

> I do not know if someone out there had/have this problems.
>
> We have two HP-bl20p-G4 2xQuadCore Xeon E5320 Intel cpu's Blade.
> with following software on it
>
> * centos 5.1 x86_64
> * xen hypervisior 3.1 from centos distri.
>

> And run on it following guests:
> 32bit centos4.6 domU's with xen_domU_kernel from update repo.
>
> Some of this machines are running fine and some of this are dying
> sometimes under load or no load.
> It look's for me strange.
>
> So my question is there a basic problem to run domU32 bit systems on a
> 64bit hardware ?
> If i read the newest messages on xen this is now a big goal for xen 3.1
> but i know it can be a bug or a misunderstood config on my side.
>
> Hopefully someone out there can help me with this problem.

...snip...

Hi Michael,

Support for running 32 bit Paravirt Xen VM's on a 64bit host was added
to 5.1 as a technology preview by the upstream provider. This means
that this has not been fully tested and is not supported.

I've also have been testing this and I had the same issues. Most of
the times I could not even get a install to finish.

So I guess the best thing to do is to create tickets for this in the
upstreams bugzilla and hope they have fixed the issues for 5.2

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)