[CentOS-devel] Too many kernels?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Jul 3 18:12:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 18:07 +0200, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> ><snip>

> For CentOS in particular, I can see that older kernels are actually
> not available anymore on mirrors, neither as separate packages nor as
> part of ISO images. The only way that I can think of to get those
> older kernels is to install from ISO images written some time ago on
> physical CD/DVDs - but these ISO images are only released for major
> updates, so only one kernel version per major update is actually
> available for those who choose this installation method and don't want
> to update to the latest and greatest. For this case, again, having one
> kernel module for each major update seems to be enough.

IIRC, older CentOS stuff can be found in archives at the CentOS site. If
so, that's another alternative. But I don't know if that includes
updates between major releases or not.

If not, the number of kernels that are even considered for support are
reduced if one considers that availability of updates between major
upgrades as unavailable and CDs that were created could not have these
either (only major release snapshots should be on CDs).

--
Bill