[CentOS-devel] CentOS Forums again

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sun Jun 29 11:34:11 UTC 2008

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

> My feeling is that the most productive way to get forward with the
> website/forum update is to split the forum from the website. In my
> experience the forum present in CMS tools aren't made for the amount
> of traffic we are having. So something dedicated sound like a better
> option. So I have been looking around for open source forum software
> that link to ldap without to much effort. I've looked at 3 projects
> (Phorum, phpBB and SMF). They all 3 are good looking, well featured
> and maintained. Though, only phpBB has a decent built-in LDAP
> integration (FreeIPA is built on top of LDAP).

<snip>

> So what do people think, did I miss stuff, other suggestions, ...

A thread has started at the forums for forum users to let folks know
what they would like to see in terms of features/usability:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14921&forum=45

Obviously this is approaching the issue from an end user PoV, but it may
be helpful in understanding what the community wants when choosing what
software to use. Personally I would think any of the major dedicated
forum software would be an improvement in terms of features/usability
compared to the current system and provide many of the features that
users are looking for as standard.