[CentOS-devel] apr-devel and httpd-devel packaging problem

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jun 30 11:33:58 UTC 2008

Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> Tim,
>>
>> Maybe you have i386 excluded from your repo file (I do as well).  I think
>> this is a yum issue, and it is meeting the requirement with the wrong
>> package because it can.  This issue is caused because the i386 devel
>> packages are in the tree ... are they supposed to be?
>
> These are both fresh installs . I've double check the yum configs,
> both do not exclude i386 packages.
>
>> But I don't think we can fix it except to ask redhat to do it, if
>> apr-devel.i386 is in the upstream repo that is.
>>
>> OK ... I just checked in RHN and apr-devel-1.2.7-11.i386 is in the x86_64.
>
> Yep, upstream has i386 packages of apr and apr-util in their x86_64 tree.

OK ... this is what we have figured out.

You can not do this:

yum install httpd-devel

instead you have to do:

yum install httpd-devel.x86_64

If you do the first (without ,x86_64), then i386 package is installed
along with the x86_64 one and it pulls in all the other i386 packages to
meet the requires ... if you do the second (with .x86_64) it works OK
and does not install the i386 version at all.

This behavior is different than earlier versions of yum, but I do not
see any way to revert the behavior.  I would think the goal should be to
not do anything with other arches (i386 on x86_64 install, for example)
unless specifically asked for.

So, the answer is in an x86_64 install you need to add .x86_64 to your
install commands.