[CentOS-devel] Re: rpmRepo Web Apps Filesystem Directory

Jean-Marc LIGER jean-marc.liger at siris.sorbonne.fr
Wed Mar 5 12:19:08 UTC 2008

Axel Thimm a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:35:48AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>
>>> The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard recommends /srv/www but only one of
>>> the big, SuSE, uses it.
>>>
>> On the Fedora/Red Hat front, this has been debated several times within the
>> packaging committee, the consensus right now (as I understand it, mind you)
>> is that the FHS's wording of /srv usage implies that this is for
>> *site-specific* stuff only, and the OS (in general) shouldn't touch or
>> assume anything about it's structure.  So, fedora currently recommends
>> packages follow-suit, and not put anything there, or assume anything about
>> it's content.
>>

> I think that pretty much covers it exactly. :)
>

>> That said, I wish FHS wording were a bit more flexible to allow otherwise,
>> but that's how things stand atm.
>>

> Well, the wording is deliberately left vague, as there are use case
> for at least two different layouts. None can subsume the other in its
> functionality, so it is really a local choice to make.

Ok, if I understand well, on the Fedora/Red Hat packaging front, the
consensus seems to be :
- site-specific web apps could be in /srv/ww (but depanding on local choice)
- OS packaged web apps shoud be in /usr/share/%{name} instead of
/var/www/%{name}

So I made my question more simple :
- is /usr/share/%{name} the default directory for centos extras
repository packaged %{name} web apps ?
- would /usr/share/%{name} be the default directory for rpmRepo
repository packaged %{name} web apps ?