[CentOS-devel] 2 problems running CentOS 5.1 + kernel-vm in VMwareFusion

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Mar 7 14:24:40 UTC 2008

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Inside VMware Fusion, I've started using:
> - CentOS 5.1 x86_64
> - kernel-vm-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5.x86_64.rpm from
> http://people.centos.org/~tru/kernel-vm/5/RPMS/x86_64/
> - kmod-open-vm-tools-0-0.20080123.2.6.18_53.1.13.el5vm.x86_64.rpm from
> http://people.centos.org/~hughesjr/open-vm-tools/5/x86_64/
>
> Sometimes (most times) I get this error during boot:
>
> "The VMware Tools poweron script did not run successfully in this
> virtual machine - If you have configured a custom poweron script in
> this virtual machine, please inspect it for errors; otherwise, please
> submit a support request."
>

> A screenshot of this error can be seen in:
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/2228546/VMware-Fusion-error-running-CentOS-51-kernelvm
>
> I don't know if this error is happening in VMware under Linux
> or Windows.
>
> When I try to suspend the virtual machine (clicking on "Suspend
> Guest"), I get the error that can be seen in:
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/2232883/VMware-Fusion-running-CentOS-51-kernelvm-doesnt-Suspend
>
> If I may help debugging something, please tell me what to show you.

This really isn't related to CentOS, but VMware, and definitely
not a CentOS Developer topic.

You should redirect this question to the VMware forums.

CentOS is the equivalent to RHEL and RHEL is fully supported so
CentOS is too. It may have been an installation problem of the
tools in the VM, but again you would get a better answer on
the VMware forums.

-Ross