[CentOS-devel] rhwas 5 work?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Mar 29 14:17:41 UTC 2008

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 20:29 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> John Summerfield wrote:
>>> Karanbir
>>> I find you very difficult to deal with, and I don't want that. Can we
>>> try to keep things calm?
>> I am always calm :D
>>
>>> I have no standing with the CentOS project, and I don't wish to become a
>>> developer. I know myself well enough to understand that it's not
>>> something I do well, even though a resume of my experience might suggest
>>> otherwise.
>> Well, the whole point to CentOS is that anyone and everyone should be
>> able to help along. Dont need a tag / title..
>
> And a good part of that is contributing ideas, pointers, support to
> others, etc. IMO. Not everyone has time or inclination to contribute in
> ways that the project might like.
>
> And that fits within the spirit of open source, no?

Thanks Bill.

In this particular case, Johnny more than anyone else speaks for CentOS,
and I probably least of all.

CentOS has a problem with the Sun licence. On checking, it didn't seem
so bad. Okay, so it maybe still isn't good enough. Perhaps one of the
leaders ought tell Sun; in view of its decision to open-source Java,
maybe Sun will move a little more. I don't think IBM will argue against
more freedom, it's been taking shots at Sun over the matter for years.

I'm the last person who should be negotiating on CentOS's behalf, _this_
has to be done by an acknowledged leader, whether it's Johnny, Karanbir
or someone else. Someone with a sound knowledge of the issues, someone
Sun will see as someone representing the project.

If the licence issue is resolved satisfactorily, _then_ there will be
some work to do, and maybe someone with needs in that area will step up.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait