[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS 5 ServerCD ?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Nov 3 23:11:30 UTC 2008

on 11-3-2008 12:38 PM Karanbir Singh spake the following:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been asked a few times about a CentOS 5 ServerCD. Is something
>> like this planned or simply impossible ?
>>
>> (Was reminded by this comment on LWN: http://lwn.net/Articles/304730/)
>>

> Some of the issues, of the top of my head :
>
> 1) Upstream now has a product called 'Server' and at the time we felt it
> might cause confusion to have a 'Server' that is not even remotely the
> same thing as upstreams 'Server'
>
> 2) ServerCD 4 to ServerCD(!) 5 upgrades required a ServerCD5 that was
> almost 900MB in size.
>
> 3) Since you can now have a finer level of package selection and
> installation control at install time, many people felt that the impact
> and use case for ServerCD was diminished.
>
> 4) Talk at the time of a CentOSPlus kernel based installed ( therefore
> xfs etc support at install time, additional drivers, perhaps some more
> userland stuff too ) might be a good idea, but that never got traction
> so we felt that if no one really cared enough to talk about it, perhaps
> no one really wanted it - or people already have process's in place that
> worked around the issue.
>
> Finally, it wasent going to be possible to get the exact same usage
> scenarios covered in a single CD for CentOS-5 as it was for CentOS-4.
> Perhaps if there is enough interest we can revisit this situation and
> reconsider the issues. But thats just what the reasons are why there
> isnt a CentOS-5 servercd at the moment. Nothing stops that situation
> from changing within reasonable grounds.
>
> - KB
It would be nice if you could just have an install option on the regular CD1
like "linux minimal" that would be somewhat easier than the way you have to do
a minimal install now. It just isn't that intuitive to me. If I remember
correctly, you have to clear all the check boxes, specify to "select packages
now", and clear some more check boxes.
I don't know how easy that is to add to the anaconda installer.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and