[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS 5 ServerCD ?

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 23:35:36 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:
> It would be nice if you could just have an install option on the regular CD1
> like "linux minimal" that would be somewhat easier than the way you have to do
> a minimal install now. It just isn't that intuitive to me. If I remember
> correctly, you have to clear all the check boxes, specify to "select packages
> now", and clear some more check boxes.
> I don't know how easy that is to add to the anaconda installer.

I don't think a minimal install from CD1 works in all cases. I seem to
remember some mention of it requiring additional disks on some RAID
installs??

But yes, a minimal install CD as opposed to a "server" CD sounds like a
good solution. I agree it needn't include any "server" stuff like
apache, mysql, php etc that can be pulled in by yum after installation.
As mentioned previously that approach should allow the package list to
be kept small enough to allow it to be more easily maintainable through
subsequent major version upgrades.