[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 ServerCD ?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 4 03:34:12 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>> It will be usefull for those who with to walk around with a CD drive and
>> need to install servers.
>
> the only issue with that is what / how would you define 'servers'. Its
> easier to work with something like a package list of what would be
> considered reasonable to have on a default install, then remove the
> option to make installtime package selections and deliver only that raw
> package manifest thats been pre-selected.

Isn't kickstart enough for servers? Unless it's your first server, it's
easy enough to specify ks=http://ks.example.com/ks?server

Maybe, if there's a CD image, it could have an interactive ks, one that
makes an otherwise non-default package selection?

There does not need to be a separate CD, if the first CD in the set has
the capability.

_I_ would be content with a so-called server install that has just
enough CentOS to get networking up and allow me to install more stuff.
How hard is this?

yum install this that theother

If I want to script customisation and I don't want to use kickstart,
it's not hard to do it on first boot: one script could reconfigure yum,
install standard and non-standard packages, add users, whatever. It's
not really so different whether it's done via ks or later.

I've never really understood the point of a so-called server CD.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait