[CentOS-devel] Instructions on rebuilding the CentOS 5 installer?

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at centos.org
Tue Nov 25 17:50:26 UTC 2008

James Pearson wrote:
> Out of interest, how do the CentOS team rebuild the installer?

err, I build the centos-5 installer with just the buildinstall line,
mkisofs the isos' and push them out. Stuff has become a lot simpler with
C5 than it was with C4.

> How do I make sure the 'packages dep loop close' - does that mean
> running pkgorder?

I am going to presume you need just 1 installset, a DVD or a network
install mechanism - in which case pkgorder is sort of redundant.

depclosure: that `rpm -qpR *.rpm ` should be satisfied by rpm -qp
--provides *.rpm`; in your repository. There should be no 'dangling'
deps. If you look at yum-utils, there are tools there which might help
unless you want to write them yourself.

> Yes, I agree, but there are times (with CentOS 4) that I have needed to
> rebuild the installer for my own needs - and I would like to make sure I
> can do this with CentOS 5 when required.

buildinstall is still there, so you should be able to run it anytime.
but I'd still be interested in knowing why you might want to rebuild the
installer ? even most install-time changes to the installer are easily
pushed using product.img / updates.img

--
Karanbir Singh
CentOS Project { http://www.centos.org/ }