[CentOS-devel] slow Perl on CentOS 5

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Sep 1 03:33:01 UTC 2008

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>>> should explore the problem further with TUV and the CentOS
>>> community. If a fix is not forthcoming from TUV, I reluctantly suggest
>>> that we get together with the CentOS people and fork this portion of
>>>  the distro, perhaps standardizing on Perl 5.10 . There are people
>>> in the Perl community ready to assist us.
>>
>> While forking the whole perl subsection of the distro is a bit
>> drastic, I am quite happy to have a perl in C5Plus. Does someone want
>> to get in touch with Keith and get a summary on what needs fixing in
>> this case ? Also - if the conversation was to take place on
>> centos-devel list, would be much cooler.
>>
>> Upstream have said the fix will be in 5U3, and considering that might
>> be still a few months away, could we get something sorted before then
>> ?
>
> To be honest, if this problem was part of RHEL5 since its inception and
> only a few people until now have actually been bugged by it. I don't see
> a good reason to release something now only because someone was able to
> make a big poo out of it and got to slashdot.

I don't know whether I've been affected by the problem or not, and I
don't think many who don't do their own perling would. A lot of the
things I run are set to run when I'm not present, and if I'd upgraded my
  C4 systems to C5 I might not notice if some jobs went from taking a
few minutes to an hour and more, depending of course, on how many:
assuredly, if the system went to loadaverage >20 I would. And, I have a
C5 box that does do this, and I don't know why. It is, however, a fresh
install and not an upgrade.

And I don't particularly think that Perl is the problem, though it could be.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait