[CentOS-devel] language specific community subsites

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Sep 1 17:13:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

Different people seem to have a different take on what the whole point
and aim of the regional / local communities is. I am laying out here
what we started with for fr.centos.org and what we hope to use for :

ja.centos.org
de.centos.org
es.centos.org
cn.centos.org

-----

The first thing really is that these are not regional subsites, they are
language based. Which is why its JA.centos.org and not JP.centos.org -
if there are other such situations, we would go with the language iso code.

Moving onto the point of this whole exercise. Well the point is to give
people who speak and communicate in a specific language a focused CentOS
centric starting point and a web forum[1] that they can use. And
pointers on where to go for help, documentations, details on the project
etc. And this should help provide a means for language teams and
translation groups to communicate easier.

Apart from the starting page and forums there will be no other content
hosted in the language subsites. All the content would be hosted
alongside the regular english content. eg. the way our wiki is setup
right now, and how different language translations are handled there.

I know that fr.centos.org was only a pilot and one issue that lots of
people pointed out was that it does not look like the other CentOS.org
websites. Thats a point taken on board, and none of the other subsites
are coming up till the ArtWork guys have a look and feel sorted for the
fr.centos.org site. Those guys already have this in their ToDo list.

Now, if you are interested in helping with any of these language lists,
please reply to this thread here in the mailing list and let us know.

- KB

[1]: this would / should / could really compliment the language specific
mailing lists we have already got in place, perhaps a forum software
that can gateway between the two would be nice.