[CentOS-devel] options on voice conf calls

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Wed Sep 24 08:59:20 UTC 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> We had a bit of a struggle with Skype today trying to get a few people
>> talking about some infrastructure issues. And I was wondering if anyone
>> had recommendations on what other options there might be ?

Although the problem really seems to have been on my side, I have some
data loss somewhere between my home router and the next hop which then
leads to static noise over ip instead of voice over ip.

> Ohh. And skype is so a not standard protocol I would just love to make
> it go away in favor of open standards.

Yes. The problem with skype is: It just works. No matter if your home
router has a firewall or does NAT or whatever. It works.

HP has a fun thing called virtual classroom (although I cannot remember
at the moment if they use VOIP in there). But that seems internal to
them.

Cheers,

Ralph