[CentOS-devel] 5.3´s anaconda src.rpm missing

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:09:57 UTC 2009

James Antill wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 16:50 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> That is, why does yum do something different after a 'yum clean all'?
>> Shouldn't it be trying all the mirrors anyway if it fails to get a
>> file for any reason?
>
>  Because "yum clean all" will delete your mirrorlist.txt file, so then
> you could be (and I assume are) talking to a different set of mirrors on
> any subsequent runs.

OK, but these runs were a few minutes apart - and days after the
problems started.  Why would the mirrorlists be different other than
perhaps having a different sort order?  I thought the point of the lists
was to have them all for retry/failover.

>  "yum clean expire-cache" is the less expensive way of doing the same
> thing.

That's not exactly intuitive - nor is why it should help.  Why can't yum
do this on its own if the repo metadata says you need a file but the
repo says the file isn't there?   It is also kind of painful recomputing
the fastest mirror and doing failovers that hit ftp:// urls in my
locations where the proxies don't handle ftp.  Is there a way to bypass
them that won't kill the (obviously needed) ability to find freshly
listed repos?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com