[CentOS-devel] iSCSI Enterprise Target

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:46:01 UTC 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 12:36 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
wrote:

> Ross Walker wrote:
>> Ok, I'll play.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> How about, package maintainers will test that their package works
>> correctly on all architectures and platforms their package supports,
>> they will then submit the SRPM to enter in the next "scheduled" build
>> cycle, if it builds clean they should hear nothing, but if it fails
>> they should get the error report emailed back to them, they will then
>> need to fix and re-submit for the next build cycle. The CentOS team
>> will discard any new SRPMs that fail to build.
>
> This sort of a thing is easy, let me also plumb in a few more bits :
> people get 'version control' access, and can then submit and track
> packages in there, tag'g for builds - and results being immediately
> visible. With an automated just-build repo's that can be ( should
> be ? )
> public. Allowing people to do whatever and how many ever builds they
> fancy before actually moving their packages ( and they should be
> able to
> do this on their own - with an automated process ) into the testing
> repo's on dev.centos.org (1)

Heh, as long as your lips aren't writing checks that...

Honestly, if you think the project has the resources to pull off such
then, yes, that would be great. Otherwise I would also take a stripped
down process for submittal.

The key is to get all this great enterprise class software out to
users of CentOS.

> A policy can then be drafted on how and what moves from testing to
> stable. Where stable could be  either Extras/ Contrib/ or Plus/.

Yes, I think policy should come first, then process.

I think if the core devs talk it out there is probably an informal
policy already in place. Just need to write it down and have a quorum
agree to it.

>> This puts the pressure on the maintainer to make sure it is
>> thoroughly
>> tested for all supported architectures and releases that they
>> support.
>
> Sure, that works - however we can all share the pain a bit. The tricky
> situation however is going to be working out what is a workable
> packaging standard we could / would adopt. No reason why we cant go
> with
> the Fedora churnout. If that works for everyone ?

Really don't know how Fedora does it.

I think the key here is to try and get a simple policy together at the
next dev meeting that most can agree on and then put it up on the wiki
under contributions. Need to decide what falls under 'extras' and what
under 'contrib'. Maybe staple enterprise software under 'extras' and a
potpouri of software under 'contrib'. Maybe tighter control of what's
under 'extras' then what's under 'contrib'. That's really for you guys
to hammer out.

Once a policy is in place you can see what resources are available for
a process which you can document and put on the wiki too under the
policy.

In the meantime is there a core developer who would like to sponsor me
to get this into testing?

-Ross