[CentOS-devel] Donating?

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Wed Dec 9 16:33:32 UTC 2009

2009/12/9 R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:
>
>> Something the promo team has been doing for a while is selling stuff under [1]
>>
>> So if you want a shirt or similar that is the place to look.
>
>> [1] http://wiki.centos.org/Promo/Box
>
> The page is all of five days old, and the 'promo team money
> box and used to help CentOS' was unknown to me.  Additionally
> the use of an outside (non-centos) email address to receive
> monies is not something that has been brought to, nor approved
> by the dev team.
>
> I am unsettled by this at first read, as the location of the
> content carries the implicit approval of being in on a
> moderated part of 'centos.org', compared, contra, to the ad
> hoc 'fan boi' enthusiasm, boosterism and advocacy, the
> forum, mailing list and their archives, and the newsletter
> [over which no editorial control is exercised by the dev
> team]).
>
> I'll add a review of this to the next dev team agenda for the
> team to discuss the matter.
>
> -- Russ herrold

Russ,

I also share your concern, though I'm sure Didi and the members of
that SIG (?) mean no harm. I suspect that the message was sent to this
thread in a burst of enthusiasm . . .

As you have said previously, the entire realm of donations needs to be
configured correctly -- be it financial or otherwise.

Alan.