[CentOS-devel] ECCN and CentOS

Thu Feb 19 16:41:40 UTC 2009
David Hrbáč <hrbac.conf at seznam.cz>

Karanbir Singh napsal(a):
> hi,
>
> Over the last few months we have been repeatedly been asked about ECCN
> and CentOS and how things work work for companies/governments etc.  The
> usual response is: were not your lawyers, speak to your lawyers.
>
> Would someone on this list like to pick this up as an issue and work it
> out, perhaps document something on the wiki / website and try to build a
> picture that people could look at, and take some useful information away
> from ?

Karanbir,
this is something we are not able to figure out ourselves. I guess
you've red http://www.redhat.com/licenses/export/ and guess there's no
one with law background on the list to handle. I can ask sis to look at
it little bit, she's international/commercial lawyer. As far as I know
Centos should be listed under ECCN 5D002. As for CentosPlus it can be
different, but I don't remember having restricted code/technology within
the Centos Plus. The important is
http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/do_i_needaneccn.html, submission of
classification request, as described in the answer to question 3. But I
guess Centos doesn't have CIR nor PIN, so Centos is not able to ask fof
the classification http://www.bis.doc.gov/snap/pinsnapr.htm.

So I would sum it up with:
1. centos is ECCN 5D002
2. if you (exporter) are not sure it is so, go and submit classification
request of your product to BIS
Regards,
David Hrbáč