[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.3 ETA?

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Mon Mar 2 21:03:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 12:40:14PM -0800, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
> On 03/02/09 08:27, Scott Silva wrote:
> >
> > Usually the developers get irritated, and rightly so, about people hounding
> > them for a new release of software they will not pay for, or will not
> > contribute toward.
> >
> > A bunch of posts of "are we there yet" just make things worse.
> >
> > Anybody that is so impatient that they have to bug the devels should just pony
> > up for a RHEL subscription. This is like fine wine, and it takes time to get
> > it right. You would all be angry if they released too fast and a glaring bug
> > surfaces and does some damage to your data or reputations, so patience is the
> > best thing.
> >

> I agree with your comments at the same time if some information about
> progress can be published or links can be published on centos.org
> website will help others to understand and not whine about it or keep
> posting "are we there yet". I am no where in demand of new version but a
> humble to keep everyone updated.

I think there was an identi.ca or some other twitter'ish feed giving
the latest updates of progress on 5.3 if I'm not mistaken.

It might be nice for someone not as involved with the technical side of
packaging up the system and actually doing the QA to be designated as a
"PR" person of sorts who could keep tabs on internal progress and post
periodic updates to the mailing list for people.  Definitely natural
that people should be curious without necessarily wanting to berate
people for not getting it done "fast enough" :)

We all definitely appreciate the work of the CentOS team btw!

Ray