[CentOS-devel] Windows Server 2008 guest on KVM

Julian Price centos.org at jul17pri.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 16:16:35 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>
>> http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/x86_64/
>>
>> are from Farkas Levente, who frequents this list, perhaps he would like
>> consider offering them for inclusion in CentOS repos?
>>

> that would be quit cool. however, isnt there a problem with what runs on
> what ver of KVM ? in that centos-5 does not run beyond a certain
> release, whereas windows needs something else and opensolaris needs
> something completely different. or have those issues been resolved now ?

Farkas's version is KVM-84, which is the latest, and I have that running here on a clean install of CentOS 5.2 with one W2008 guest.  Call it anecdotal evidence.

As for what will run on that version:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-virt/2009-February/000876.html
"we only test with intel hosts and a dozens of guests, but this is the first series which seems to stable and really usable"

However, if that version goes into a repository and existing production installations do an update then they may get a KVM version that doesn't work for them.  Or maybe it works but only after a config change.  Is that the issue?  Maybe it should go in the testing repository then.

- Julian