[CentOS-devel] RPM of BrOffice.org

Thiago Avelino thiagoavelinoster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 04:11:34 UTC 2009

That we could be putting to the people that are using CentOS in Brazil
and the default install OpenOffice for BrOffice, what do you think?

This is already being done in other distributions such as Debian.

2009/3/25 Cleber Souza <cleber.lists at gmail.com>:
> Since I know, the changes was just a replacement in the name.
> A company registered the name "OpenOffice" in Brazil and due to local
> laws, no other company could use this name paying fees otherwise. The
> OpenOffice's project name was so renamed to BrOffice.org and the name
> was registered so that the same problem do not occur in the future.
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:15 AM, John Summerfield
> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>>> he made a mistake.
>>
>> He may have, but I'd rather Thiago explain what he really means.

>>> once again: the name "OpenOffice" is registered in Brazil by a private
>>> company and therefore it cannot be used by a software product.  To
>>> circumvent this, the local community is using the name :BrOffice" instead.
>>
>> yes, he said that several times. It has nothing to do with the patent
>> claim which, as you say, may be a mistake.
>>
>> I was curious about the trademark issue, so I pointed Google at Brasil
>> and did a search. I didn't find the trademark owner (which doesn't mean
>> a lot), but whoever it is is going to have a lot of trouble defending
>> the mark. Whatever the folk behind broffice.org do, there are lots of
>> other people using the term "open office" (which isn't its name -
>> another trademark problem I think) to refer to the software.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Cheers
>> John
>>
>> -- spambait
>> 1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
>> -- Advice
>> http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>
>> You cannot reply off-list:-)
>>

> --
> Cleber Paiva de Souza

att.

Thiago Avelino
Programador | SysAdmin
Linux User: #484673
Asterisk User: #63483
Digium User: D1039273
São Paulo - SP / Brasil
www.avelino.us | www.centos-br.org

Linkedin | linkedin.com/in/thiagoavelinoster
Twitter | twitter.com/thiagoavelinost
JustinTV | justin.tv/thiagoavelino