[CentOS-devel] [CentOS] jigdo images

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed May 6 22:09:05 UTC 2009

Shad,

----- "Shad L. Lords" <slords at lordsfam.net> wrote:
>  From the os directory something like this should produce jigdo
> files/templates for all associated iso files.
>
> for arch in i386 x86_64
> do
>      rsync -a --delete --delete-excluded \
>          --exclude 'repodata/' --exclude 'EULA' \
>          --exclude 'GPL' --exclude 'NOTES/' \
>          --exclude 'RELEASE-NOTES*' --exclude 'RPM-GPG-KEY*' \
>          --link-dest=../$arch/ $arch/ ${arch}.jigdo/
>
>      for iso in $(find ../isos/i386/ -name '*.iso' -size +100000)
>      do
>          jigdo-file make-template --force -i $iso \
>              -j ${iso%.iso}.jigdo -t ${iso%.iso}.template \
>              --label CentOS=$arch.jigdo/ \
>              --uri CentOS=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/$arch/
> \
>              ${arch}.jigdo//
>      done
> done
>
> After the files/templates are created they can be moved to a
> different/better location as well as updating the Servers section if
> desired.

Thanks for the recipe.  Worked for me.  My only complaint is that the .template files are about 2/3rds the size of the .iso they are for... so you end up downloading 2/3rds of an ISO as a template, then all of the files that make up the media... and then have to process it for your own .iso.

If you have a local copy of a the repos it pulls from that is handy... but if not, it seems to be significantly more downloading for the end user than just the .iso media... and the only transfer savings for the provider of the .jigdo (rather than providing the .isos) is that 1/3rd-ish savings over the .iso.

Is that how it is supposed to work?

I've used jigdo quite a bit for downloading Fedora Unity respins and since I have my own local repo copies I only ended up transfering the .template files rather as all of the packages came locally.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street