[CentOS-devel] deltarpm and presto for centos

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:28:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 19:30 +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
> ok let make things more specific:
>
> deltarpm in epel 3.4-8.el5.1 while in fedora 3.5-0.4.20090913git is
> there any significant/relevant changes? when do you plan 3.5 release?

I'm currently building it and will push it to testing ASAP.  The main
difference is that it supports xz-compressed RPMS (which shouldn't
matter for CentOS) and it has a python API (which will be useful).

> i'd be useful to add yum-presto to epel too. at the same time which
> version required by yum-presto? in rhel/centos-5 yum-3.2.22 included,
> but i read somewhere (and i can't find now where) that at least
> yum-3.2.23 required. so what's the correct version?

I think presto should work with any modern version of yum, including
3.2.22.  In fact, I have at various times used it on my CentOS 5 boxes.
I'll see about branching it for EPEL.

> also a presto-utils would be useful in epel. rebuilding from fedora
> presto-utils-0.3.4-3 gives this error:
<snip>
> it's be useful to be at least a minimal manual how we can use these
> tools and and who we can generate deltarpms.

Fedora is using createrepo, not presto-utils to generate their
deltarpms.  Presto-utils should be deprecated (or at least, mainly used
for pruning out old drpms, etc).

Jonathan