[CentOS-devel] Lang subsites/ portals

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Fri Nov 20 07:58:48 UTC 2009

Hi all.

> 4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
> themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
> are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
> then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
> Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
> on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.
>
> Not to over extend my welcome, but I'm still subscribed to the mailing lists
> from the last discussions on forums/site. Still active on the Simple
> Machines Team producing SMF, but I could probably help out with general
> forum "stuff" with whatever choice is taken. Can probably answer most
> questions on usage and trends.

I guess the question is not about which software should be used. There
has been an evaluation process in the past:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums

and migration scripts from new-bb to phpbb are already available and
ready for testing:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums/newbb_to_phpbb

The question is how a setup should look like, and imho something like:

forums.centos.org - holding the main english forums
and
forums.centos.org/$LANG for language specific forums

is a good solution and would match the actual wiki layout.

Besides that, I still think a section within the main forum (like
French CentOS support) and a multilingual forum backend should fit in
first place. If the demand is getting higher a real subforum in forum
of forums.centos.org/$LANG could be created.

Best Regards
Marcus